Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chocolate Pecan Brownie Kisses



It seems that more and more people are eating gluten-free (not me!) for medical or other reasons. I like to offer something gluten free, but I'm not prepared to fill my pantry with all kinds of different flours that I'll use infrequently. So I look for things that are naturally gluten-free. I was going through my recipe box and found this recipe. I have no idea where it came from.

These are easy to make and quite delectable, with a brownie-ish texture in the center. I think they could be frozen, too. 

Chocolate Pecan Brownie Kisses (makes about 36)

6 oz semisweet chocolate (I used Baker's chocolate squares)
2 egg whites, at room temperature
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line three cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Melt the chocolate squares (6 oz) in a double boiler or microwave. Cool slightly. 

Whip the egg whites with the salt, vinegar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, keep beating until stiff peaks form. 

Pour the melted chocolate over top, then the chocolate chips and pecans. Fold in as lightly as possible. A few white streaks will remain. The batter will be very sticky.

Use two spoons to drop blobs of batter onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake in the middle of the oven, for 8-12 minutes, until cookies lose their wet look, and hold their shape when you gently lift them. Let rest on cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes. (You can transfer them to wire racks for further cooling, but I just let mine cool on the parchment lined cookie sheets. 

Store in airtight containers in fridge for up to 5 days. 


2 comments:

Caroline said...

Do these freeze well?

CAroline

Betty said...

This sounds good. I am your newest follower.