Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cranberry Sauce







I love cranberry sauce with turkey and chicken throughout the year, so when cranberries come into season in the fall, I buy several bag fulls and preserve enough for the year. It's easy to do and the result tastes so much better, in my opinion, than anything commercial. 

Cranberry Sauce

4 cups fresh cranberries, washed and drained
2 cups water
1 stick of cinnamon, 3-4 inches
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest

Bring the cranberries, water, and cinnamon stick to boil in a large pot over high heat. When boiling, reduce to medium low and simmer 20 minutes. You will hear the cranberries go pop, pop, pop - a lovely sound. 

Add the sugar and simmer another 5 minutes. Stir in the orange zest for the last minute or so.

Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal with lids that have been boiled for 5 minutes. Screw on the lids finger tight and leave the jars to cool. You'll hear the lids pop as they seal.

Yields about 4 half-pints of cranberry sauce.

The cinnamon stick and orange zest could certainly be left out if you prefer a sauce with pure cranberry flavour. 

3 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I have never thought to put cranberry sauce in jars. We eat it until it's gone but I do freeze bags of the berries to pull out and make a fresh batch when needed.
Judith

Linda said...

I absolutely love cranberry sauce with turkey and chicken. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jill Harrison said...

I don't think cranberries is something we have a lot of over here in Australia - though I think I have seen them frozen or dried - but this recipe sounds delicious!