Monday, February 4, 2013

Copycat Green Beans



When I eat in a restaurant, I like to try new dishes - things I've never tasted before, or new ways of preparing an old favourite. During our California vacation last week, we ate at The Chart House restaurant in Carlsbad. Our table overlooked the water, which was lit by spotlights that drew fish close to shore, and gulls, since the fishing was so good. White crested waves with white gulls above made for a beautiful sight, although Tim pointed out that the lights were not very fair to the fish.

I enjoyed a piece of macadamia-nut encrusted mahi, served with a peanut sauce and a mango salsa. It was good, although I thought the combination of nuts wasn't the best. The macadamia flavour was overwhelmed by the peanut sauce. What I really enjoyed were the Asian Green Beans. Blistered skins, still a bit crunchy, with a sweet and salty sauce that made the prosaic green bean into something irresistible.

Tonight I tried my own version of the recipe and I'm fairly pleased with the result. 

Copycat Green Beans

1 pound of fresh green beans, stem ends trimmed, washed
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Siracha sauce (or another chili sauce), optional
1 teaspoon honey (or more to taste)
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

In a small skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil to medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for about 1 minute, until fragrant, but not browned. Turn off the heat and add the soy sauce, honey and Siracha chili sauce. Stir to combine. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the remaining Tablespoon of oil to medium high. Add the green beans. Cook, tossing every 30 seconds or so, for about 7 minutes, or until crisp tender. Watch carefully so the beans do not burn, but they may char a little. Pour over the soy sauce mixture and toss to heat. Place on serving dish and sprinkle sesame seeds over.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I still have fresh ginger from the butternut squash soup I made last week so I may try these beans too! I loved the soup. I ended up eating all of it myself since just the word squash sent my kids running away from it. It was a delicious lunch on many days for me. If I knew what sophisticated food was...I would say this soup qualified.
(My first fresh ginger!)

Suburban Girl said...

Oh, these will be a hit in my house. Thanks for the recipe.

Jenny said...

This looks really delicious! We love fresh green beans and are fortunate to live by a market with really reasonably priced hericot verts.