Thursday, April 19, 2012

Crustless Leek, Spinach and Feta Quiche



I love quiche. In a crust or without. This quiche is crustless and makes a wonderful lunch, paired with sliced tomatoes and avocados. I assembled the quiche in the morning before running out to do some errands, then baked it just before my daughter came for lunch. 

Other vegetables could easily be substituted - onions for leeks, or cooked broccoli or zucchini for spinach. Add some leftover ham or chicken for a heartier meal.

Crustless Leek, Spinach and Feta Quiche

1 Tablespoon olive or grapeseed oil
2 leeks, sliced (use the white and pale green sections), and well rinsed, then drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups fresh chopped spinach (or use about 1/2 box of frozen spinach)
4 eggs
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
a handful of pitted Kalamata olives, if desired
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a skillet. Add the sliced leeks and sauté gently until almost tender. Add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the spinach and sauté until wilted down and all the liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper, but take into account the saltiness of the cheese. Let cool.

Whisk the eggs together, add the cream, sour cream and milk. Stir in the cooled vegetables and the feta cheese.

Pour into a lightly greased 10" diameter baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, and arrange the olives over, if using. 

Quiche may be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for several hours before baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until mixture is mostly set and lightly browned on top. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving to let it finish cooking.

 

5 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Oh.My.Goodness.

That looks and sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipe. I love quiche.

Jenny said...

Thank you, thank you! I was wondering what to make for dinner! I have to head to the grocery store and I'm buying the few things I'm missing here! Hope they have ripe avocado's, too!

Penny said...

I love everything you put in the quiche. What a great meal.

Jen Beaudet said...

This looks so yummy! I love making things like this! I'm so glad I stopped by:) Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog!
Jenniferxox

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

My son and daughter in law just began serving Quiche at their bakery for breakfast. I must send her this recipe... :) Thanks!
It looks delicious.
OH MY! I think I have to become a follower!!