Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peach Upside-Down Cake


Here in British Columbia we wait a long time for peach season. And when it's here, we enjoy it to the full. Peach ice cream, fresh peaches and whipped cream, peaches eaten out of hand, sweet juice dripping down chins and hands. And this cake. Easy to put together and best served warm, with some lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Peach Upside-Down Cake

2 - 3 large peaches, blanched, peeled, pitted and sliced thickly
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar

In the bottom of a 9 x 9 glass baking dish,  place the melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar. Arrange the peach slices in slightly overlapping rows on top. Set aside while you make the cake.

Sponge Cake

2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat the eggs until very light and lemon coloured. Beat in salt, sugar, and vanilla. Scald the milk and add the butter to melt it. Add to the egg mixture and stir well. Combine the flour and baking powder and add it to the egg/milk mixture. Stir well to combine but don't overmix. 

Pour over the peaches. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.

3 comments:

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Same here down in my part of Oregon, Lorrie, (peaches come in late. This looks soo delicious, I wonder if I can find a few of the last peaches at the Farmer's Market this weekend. If I do, I would love to make this and will link back to your blog. Have a wonderful day! ~m.

Trader Joan said...

I've just discovered your blog and
I know I will be using a lot of the
recipes. I made the peach upside
down cake today and loved it. The
'sponge cake' topping is so much
better than other cake toppings that
I have used on top of fruit. This
one is a keeper and I will use it for all my upside down cakes It's also so simple, fast and delicious.
Thanks, Lori, for sharing -


Thanks, Lori, for sharing - you're
my kind of cook!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oooh, this looks yummy too! I am in love with all these recipes! I've subscribed to your blog - am about to drool on my keyboard!!

Sarahx